PPLC recognizes the importance of genealogical research in our communities. Our member libraries provide vital research books, tools, and databases. All of which can be accessed at the library, or at home with your PPLC library card.
PPLC has an important partnership with the Pinellas Genealogical Society, The Pinellas Genealogy Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to the furtherance of genealogical research, education, and preservation of genealogical material. Many of their materials and programs can be found at the Largo Public Library, one of the largest collections of genealogical material in Florida.
Largo Public Library has been designated as the center for genealogical research for the Pinellas Public Library Cooperative.
In 2000, the library earned the Genealogy Outstanding Achievement Award from the Florida State Genealogical Society. In 2008 and 2011, the Pinellas Genealogy Society repeated that accomplishment and was recognized with the same award. All three awards highlight the library’s outstanding collection and the Society’s support through countless volunteer hours spent teaching classes, making genealogy information available, issuing publications, and providing direct research assistance to the public.
Largo Public Library’s Genealogy Center includes:
- Genealogy classes on a variety of topics
- Over 10,000 books
- Maps, Magazines, Journals
- CD-ROMs, Microfiche and reader/printers, Microfilm and reader/printers
- US State Census records
- Numerous Pinellas County cemetery records and obituaries
- Database subscriptions to Ancestry Library Edition, HeritageQuest, and American Ancestors
- Pinellas Memory Project: digital preservation of local history photos and other documents