Position Description: Public Services Specialist
Nature of Position
Professional position appointed by the Pinellas Public Library Cooperative (PPLC) Executive Director, and reporting to the Talking Book Library Manager. Responsible for serving patrons of the Pinellas Talking Book Library (TBL). Duties include: conducting readers’ advisory interviews, discuss books/topics with readers, general knowledge of resources, and extensive computer use.
- Assist and advise readers (via phone, email, and in-person) in their choice of materials, conduct “reference interviews” to help patrons better define their reading interests.
- Maintain a knowledge of and familiarity with electronic and print resources for Readers’ Advisors.
- Contribute to bibliographic control and maintenance of patron records via library automated systems, making adjustments when needed.
- Interact with patrons to borrow materials, record requests, and provide information on TBL and National Library Service (NLS) Network policies and procedures.
- Assist patrons in using the online catalog and using the BARD mobile app. For downloading talking books. Provide instruction on using these online systems.
- Plan and conduct outreach activities.
- Maintain integrity of talking book collection by performing deselection and inventory tasks.
- Supervise library volunteers as needed.
- Other responsibilities include maintaining displays, creating booklists, sorting incoming and outgoing mail deliveries, downloading books, and assisting with program planning.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Basic computer competencies and knowledge of library automated systems.
- Must possess effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must have the ability to interact effectively with patrons, staff, care providers, and community partners.
- Must be able to problem solve and work independently.
- Commitment to service excellence and professional ethics.
- Must be organized and able to move between multiple tasks effectively.
- Familiarity with public library service objectives, with experience providing customer service to disabled populations preferred.
- Must possess valid FL driver’s license, and able to drive to various locations.
- Ability to perform repetitive motions, sit, stand, crouch, bend, or stoop for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and move objects up to 15 lbs. daily.
SALARY RANGE AND BENEFITS (current PPLC policies will govern)
Salary Range: $15.00-$21.63 annualized at $31,200-$45,000 / commensurate with experience.
Leave: Standard PPLC holidays. Vacation and sick leave (4 hours each, per bi-weekly pay period) and one personal day per calendar year
Insurance: Health, vision, dental, basic life insurance, and worker’s compensation coverage is provided after a 90-day period.
Pension: Upon completion of one year’s service the employee will be enrolled in the PPLC Pension Plan.
Performance evaluation conducted upon completion of a six-month probation period, and thereafter on an annual basis. Annual salary increases are performance-based.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Position open until filled.